Monday, August 17, 2009

On The Other Side Of The River

I was so giddy when the weekend finally rolled around. So much was going on, both at work and otherwise in my life, that I needed a breather. After my article was finished for school and everything was set for our apartment back in Chapel Hilll, I was ready to relax. And relax I did.
I fell asleep at 10:00 p.m. on Friday night (I know, even I am cringing at my lameness). But I couldn't help myself. Then on Saturday I got some sun and genuine R&R.

Sunday I met my high school friend again in Brooklyn. We dropped our stuff off at her apartment and then stayed in Brooklyn for most of the day. We started out in Williamsburg, a neighborhood in Brooklyn. A lot of young hipster/artsy people live there and the main street, Bedford Avenue, has tons of shops and restaurants. So we walked around there for a few hours, including stopping at this little ice cream shop called Penny Licks, where you can get tiny little ice cream cones for $1.
After figuring out the subway system in Brooklyn, we made our way down to the Brooklyn Bridge to walk across it and enjoy the view. And BOY is there a view. One of the best of the city and the Manhattan Bridge. It didn't take nearly as long to walk all the way across it as I thought it would. Probably no more than half an hour one way.After all that walking we were ready for a break, so we went back to her apartment in the Chinatown of Brooklyn and showered and relaxed. By 9:00, we were out the door again for dinner. Emme wanted to go back to Little Italy, which was totally fine by me, so she treated me to dinner at one of the Italian restaurants. I got cheese tortellini and she splurged and got fish. That neighborhood is so cute and we were fortunate enough to be sitting on the sidewalk outside and got to people-watch and look around while we were eating.
We made it back to the apartment by 1:00 a.m. and went to bed right away. Emme was snoring within the first 30 seconds of laying her head down. It was a lot of walking for one day. I went in to work at the normal time this morning, and Emme walked me to the subway station in Brooklyn before we had to say goodbye. She's heading back to North Carolina tonight. And I have to say I wish I was going with her. But I only have four more days left in the city, so I want to enjoy them as much as I did the last weekend. If only I could figure out how to make everything fit into my suitcases...

No comments:

Post a Comment