Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Hello, Fashion Closet. I Have Made It To Heaven.

First day on the job! And my feet are killing me. I went in at 8 a.m., and there were about two hours of training where we were given a tour around the office and through the Fashion Closet (beautiful, and so far, my favorite place in NYC). We spent most of the day learning how to check in and return samples of clothing, shoes, and accessories. It was so much fun! And so hectic. I was a little afraid of what it was going to be like- I think I have watched The Devil Wears Prada one too many times. I had no idea what to expect, but they were all really sweet and incredibly helpful as we were trying to figure everything out.

There are three other interns in the fashion department and they are all from the North. I guess that makes me the token southern girl. I did say y'all a couple of times, but no one has given me heck about it. Yet.

I was shocked when I rode on the elevator the first time and as we were going to the 36th floor, my ears began to pop. And it speeds you up there in about 10 seconds. New Yorkers are always constantly moving at mach speed, it seems. But I was given an official card to be allowed into the office. The first time I tried to get in the turnstile without an I.D., it made a really obnoxious beeping sound at me, and the security guard had to tell me that I couldn't get in without verification from the editor. But it all worked out and now I can come and go all I want. It makes me feel really important, even if I am the unpaid intern :)

I am already so positive that I want to be in magazines after college, and I know that this will be a great learning experience and to get my foot in the door. And I will keep you updated in how it progresses, especially if I meet Oprah. My roommate Ashley told me that if I saw Oprah, I should turn around and walk away because she is certain I will say something to embarrass myself. That might be true, but to avoid that I will come up with crafty lines ahead of time. Any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. Brecken! Omg. I am SO glad you have a blog. And of course I have to comment on the one that mentions me. If you see Oprah how about "Can I have a picture and an autograph?" ... maybe inappropriate for during the work day? Who knows? What about "Can I have a job next year?" lol!

    ReplyDelete