Friday, May 22, 2009

Times Square And Union Square

Second day in the city! This time I took the train. It's a shorter ride, but Penn Station is farther than Port Authority from my work. I started out the day by going to Times Square. I kept an eye out for the naked cowboy, but had no luck seeing him. But I did get to go into two of my favorite stores: the Hershey's store and the Toys R Us, which is amazing because it is three stories tall and has a Ferris wheel in it. I really wanted to ride it, but since I was alone, I decided to wait until I can share that experience with someone. I probably should have just jumped in with some kids and pretended I knew them. Seriously though, it's a lot of fun.

Then I decided to make my way down to Union Square market, so I walked down Broadway Street. On the way, I got to see the Flatiron building, which I didn't know I would see. But it looks really cool and fits into the corner really well. I know people say not to look up at the buildings or you will look like a tourist, but it's so hard when there are so many cool, huge buildings around, especially the Flatiron building.

I bought some fresh apples at the Union Square market, but they had so much more than fruits. They had fresh vegetables, all kinds of plants, baked goods, dairy products and some clothing and other small trinkets. They are all locals trying to sell, so it supports local and often organic farmers and small businesses. After I finished browsing at the market, I decided to take a break and sit in Union Square Park, which was fun to sit and people-watch because New York has a lot of interesting people.

After that and scattered throughout the day I did some shopping whenever I saw a store I wanted to go into. But I didn't buy anything or even try anything on because the stores are crazy busy and the lines were extreme. Near the end of the day I was a little tired, so while I was waiting for my train home I went into a Borders above Penn Station and grabbed a drink and sat down with a book. I think I'll take a break from the city over the weekend and figure out Verona instead. After all, I do have three months to see everything I want to see (what an exciting idea!). So if anyone wants to come visit me (please, please, please), I will be able to give a personal tour for free!

No comments:

Post a Comment