Thursday, May 28, 2009

Work, Eat, Sleep. Work, Eat, Sleep.

It's only day three of work, but I feel like I have been there forever. The other interns and I have yet to go out after work to get to know each other because we are so exhausted by the time we finish. Right now my days consist of catching the bus to work, working all day, catching the bus home, dinner, relaxing and blogging when I can, then to bed early so it can start again. I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually, but my feet hate me right now. I have blisters after every day, and I'm not even wearing high heels to work.

But for all my complaining, I am having a lot of fun with it. On the first day I worked mainly with clothing, but yesterday and today I got to work with accessories. Yesterday I got to handle high heels from Christian Louboutin, my favorite designer. I wanted to put them on and just walk around the Closet it them, but I don't know if I'm allowed to do that. They were so beautiful, but worth more than I have in my bank account. It's a little nerve-wracking dealing with stuff that is so valuable.

Yesterday I found out that the accessories assistant went to UNCGreensboro for two years as an undergrad. What a small world! But she transferred because she said the south wasn't for her. But I've never thought of Greensboro as being a southern city. Plus, I miss sweet tea and barbecue! But it made me really happy to hear that someone up here had been so close to home and knows what North Carolina is like. There is also someone on the staff here who graduated from UNC, but I haven't met her yet. I hope I get to meet her soon because I would love to have another Tar Heel so close!

I found out that I probably won't see Oprah- I don't think they ever shoot the covers here in NYC. But apparently her BFF Gayle comes aorund sometime. She is the Editor-At-Large of the magazine and I think she might have an office somewhere on the floor. There is a lot of the magazine that I don't really get to see because we are always in or around the Closet. At least it has a breathtaking view of the city behind all the racks of clothing. Hopefully I will get to snap a picture of it one day to post on the blog.

The weather has been awful lately. It's cold and rainy and just makes me that much more tired. Today it was really foggy, which made for an awesome view of the City. The tops of the skyscrapers would disappear into the fog and you couldn't tell how much farther they went on. But as if the sidewalks weren't already packed enough with pedestrians, it is even harder when people all have their umbrellas out. I almost took out a couple of people with mine.

I also have to remind myself to slow down every once in a while. At the beginning, I was baffled by New Yorkers and how they rush everywhere. And I do mean everywhere. They can't even stand still on an escalator and let it do the work for them. They just keep running to get where they need to go. And then I did it both yesterday and today to make it to my bus in time. I love the city and it's energy, but I don't want it to pass by so quickly because I was running around everywhere. So when I find myself rushing, I have to make myself slow down. I'll find other ways to become like a New Yorker, like buy a sketchy hot dog from a vendor on the street. I actually did buy coffee and a muffin from a vendor this morning, and I felt like a local. And yesterday someone asked me where the nearest bank was. I couldn't help her, but at least she thought I was from the City!

Okay, even though it is only 9:30 at night, I am going to start getting ready for bed because I am a little lame right now. And it takes a while for me to get around. I have to hobble and limp on my sore feet. So sweet dreams, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of shoes are you wearing these days? I hope something comfortable! You know a lot of ladies wear sneakers to work and then change to the professional shoes once they get there? No Oprah! What? ..well you know my theory hah! :) Also 9:30 is not a lame bedtime...not to me at least. (as you know from living with me for 3 years haha)

    ReplyDelete