Thursday, May 21, 2009

First Day In The City

So, I went into the city today! I took the bus in around 10:30 and the first thing I did once I got my bearings was walk to work. And I did it without a map! But it wasn't really that hard. Navigating the streets isn't hard; tackling the subways will be a different story. But the Hearst Tower is a beautiful building, and Columbus Circle and Central Park are really close, so I'm hoping our 36th floor office will have some great views of the park. Here's the picture I took of the building.
The top part seen above is really new, and one of the first green buildings in the city with a lot of eco-friendly aspects. The bottom part, below, was the original building but everything on the inside was taken out, so when you walk in you go up an escalator to a floor halfway to the top of the old building. The escalators have cascading water fountains next to them. Here's the older section of the building with the main entrance.
Then I walked to Columbus Circle and into Central Park a little. Mainly, the day was spent doing a lot of walking and trying to get to know the city, which meant major blisters for my feet because I was wearing new shoes and trying to break them in. Now I know why people wear one pair around and bring another to work. I don't know why I didn't think of it, but by the end of the summer I will be a pro at this big-city thing. Tomorrow I think I am going to attempt the train and try to see more stuff, provided I wear the right shoes.

1 comment:

  1. I am soo exicted for you and your new adventure. You sound like you have figured out about everything for now. Please invest in some good tennis and carry you high heels to work!!lmao Please becareful...call me if you need anything(336)4520703. Luv you and live it up for every moment!!!

    ReplyDelete