Don't judge me for this, but in the time period right after school ended and before I left for my internship, I started watching The Real Housewives of New York City and The Real Housewives of New Jersey. It's sort of a guilty pleasure, but blame my friend Katie. She is the one who got me started. But I have been saying ever since I got here that I hope I see one. And today I did! It was one of the housewives of New York City. I actually thought if I ever saw one, it would be in NJ, but I don't know why. I spend more time in the city and I don't know where in New Jersey the others live.
Anyway, the people in the office needed someone to run an errand and go pick up some clothing samples from a PR company, so I volunteered so I could get out of the building. The place I had to go was really close and I only had to walk a couple of blocks down 57th street, which is one of the biggest east-west streets in the city. And on my way back, I passed one of the housewives! I'm not positive it was her because she had huge sunglasses on, but I have watched that show enough to be fairly certain it was. My first celeb spotting! Though I don't think you can really call them celebrities just because a camera follows them around.
I went back into the office and was going to mention it to the girls, thinking that they would laugh at me for watching the show and not think it was as exciting as I did, but as soon as I told them they were all so excited too! They wanted to know what she was wearing and where she was going and everything haha.
But I had never walked down 57th and didn't realize how nice it was. I also passed Carnegie Hall and The Russian Tea Room and lots of nice restaurants that I really want to try. I also recently realized that Penn Station, where I get on the train, is right next to, or maybe even attached to, Madison Square Garden. I wonder if they just let people walk in and wander around? I might have to try it the next time I have spare time before my train.
I am pretty sure that I saw a girl from UNC today over in the editorial part of the office, maybe there as an intern? She was in my reporting class and also worked for The Daily Tar Heel. YAY for Tar Heels taking over the city. An old friend from high school also just started an internship in the city today, so I plan on seeing her soon. It's nice to know so many people are so close.
I have yet to flag down a taxi to get anywhere, but I have been watching for the Cash Cab! Before I left, my mom and I watched the show a good number of times so that I could memorize the cab number (1G12, in case you wanted to know :) I thought it would be easy to recognize it, because it's a van, but I have noticed that there are a lot more taxi vans than I thought. And anyway, I would rather wait until I have someone with me to help me with the trivia instead of risking making myself look like a fool on national television. Be prepared Mom and Dad, you are my extra phone call when I don't know an answer. Or anyone else in my phone book-if you get a call from me, you'd better answer. Extra money in my wallet will depend on it (no pressure or anything)!
Monday, June 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Niiice. I so want to visit you there! After graduation me, you, and Diana need to go there for fun, and go celeb hunting. hah! And I know random trivia, plus I'm always at my computer! I can't believe you are out picking up samples and running errands for a huge magazine. That is beyond cool. Keep having fun!
ReplyDelete